Sunday, 30 August 2026

HROT

One thing I'm surprised I didn't question as I was playing it was "What the fuck does Hrot even mean" and apparently its Czech for "point" or "spike".  Thanks Google

HROT is a first person shooter that came out in 2023 although looking at I wouldn't blame you for thinking it came out 1996.  Its a fast paced boomer shooter thats wearing its Quake influence so hard that the developer may as well be kicking down your down with a giant "I FUCKING LOVE QUAKE" neon sign draped around his neck while he plays a Nine Inch Nails album at full volume directly into your eardrums.  That's not a bad thing though, its not like iD are making oldschool Quake games anymore so its nice to get some fresh nostalgia bombs from time to time.  Another game that it reminds me of is Chasm: The Rift, but I've not played that so I'm not sure if it actually resembles that game in any significant way outside of the visuals.  I've just seen a review of it via a Civvie11 video on YouTube.  What is obvious is that it's made by people who are passionate about boomshoot history so either way if you're craving some real old-school style shit, HROT is a good place to go.  

HROT has 3 episodes and 24 maps (plus some secret ones) where you shoot your way through what I think is 1980s Czechoslovakia.  Despite the "realistic" setting of the game, the actual presentation is quite fantastical.  The first few enemies are dudes in gasmasks with guns and grenade launchers but quickly turns into you fighting floating heads, zombies, weird newt looking things and those statues from Dr Who.  Bosses also include things such as gorilla ornaments on carnival rides that come to life, sentient pommel horses and the floating heads of politicians.  If you were worried the grey brown environments were going to be devoid of any personality then you'd be quite wrong.  The art direction is following the Quake brown style but you're never sure what weird thing is waiting around the next corner.  One minute you're in a sewer shooting dudes with shotguns, next minute you're in a courtyard desperately hopping away from a horse in a gas mask while zombies in wheel chairs obliterate your HP.  There are also a ton of funny little interactables in a few of the stages which includes the standard FPS mounted turrets but also fully functional keyboards and little LCD games.

One thing that annoys me about the general presentation of HROT is that I felt a lot of it went over my head.  There are nods and winks to all this Czech art and literature scattered throughout the game, I think, and because I'm not privvy to basically any of it as a nerdy British man who grew up in the 90s, some of the charm is lost on a player like me.  For example there's a level in episode 3, the first one, that feels like it comes right out of left field.  It's called War with the Newts and it seems maybe a bit lol so randum to an ignorant player like myself but it turns out to be based on famous novel of the same name that I've never heard of but now want to read.  I forget how I even stumbled on this information after playing, maybe in the wiki or something.  It's not a huge knock against the game though, it's just I have no idea where to even begin educating myself with Czech history in order to get all the little details the game has to over.   

One other fun thing the game does is that upon completion of each chapter the game gives you an actual cooking recipe to try.  The first one you get for the completion of Episode 1 is Beef Stroganoff which I actually tried making.  It turned out pretty well, was good for a couple of dinners


 The second recipe is for Cauliflower Brains which I'm not going to bother trying and the third is for "eggs in aspic" and honestly it sounds like something that makes me want to vom.  Regardless of my picky tastes though, its cool that such a feature is included.  

HROT is great and you should play it.  A fantastic Quake-like that shouldn't be missed by anyone even remotely interested in FPS's.  Shoot some guys, repel the invasion, learn to cook, simulate a clock when you're finished.  What's not to love?


No comments:

Post a Comment