Tuesday 30 January 2024

2024: The Year of The Dreamcast

 

I haven't published any posts to blog in a hot minute and that needs to change.  Not that I haven't been painfully aware of my lack of games writing but I'm so busy with streaming, YouTube, making my own game(s), work, baby and a ton of other shit that sadly this has fallen completely to the wayside.  No excuses though, let's change that.

I decided two things at the start of the year.  The first being that I would not play more than a single game at a time when it comes to going through my backlog.  For the last couple of years I tend to have a bunch of games on the go, I peaked at one point at 7 concurrent playthroughs of different things and while I don't struggle to remember the goings on of each game for the most part, it does mean that the rate at which I complete stuff becomes immensely slow so this year I want my playthroughs to be a bit more focused.  The second is that I want to focus in on the Dreamcast this year and explore its library a bit more closely.  

Around Christmas last year I was wandering around the retro game stores in Nagoya and while going through the aisles of a Super Potato I started looking at all the Dreamcast games.  The Dreamcast was a system I owned back when it was new, I remember vividly the birthday that I got it with a copy of Powerstone and I played the shit out of that thing, there's a lot of fond memories tied to Sega's final piece of hardware.  But one thing I realized when looking at the selection of titles in Super Potato is that my experience with the system as a child barely scratched the surface of what the system really has to offer.  Sure, I played a ton of Powerstone 1/2, Dynamite Cop, Shenmue, Resident Evil: Code Veronica and other stuff but really I was only scratching the surface.  There are tons of interesting looking titles, a lot of which were locked to Japan and even if I could have got hold of them back then, my younger non-Japanese speaking ass wouldn't have been able to get a lot out of them.

But now its 2024, I live in Japan, fluent in the language and Dreamcast games are easily obtainable, I can go hog-fuckin-wild on this thing and get real intimite with it's library.  There's stuff that I have lined up that I have never heard of like Visual Novel JRPG deSPIRIA or Diablo clone based on an anime Record Of Lodoss War as well as games I always new about but have never had a chance to try like Blue Stinger and Cannon Spike.  A quick google of "obscure games for the Dreamcast" has led me to quite a number of interesting titles that I can't wait to try out.

I did decide to be boring though and kick things off with a game I've already finished once, Grandia 2.  I haven't touched a Grandia game since my high school playthrough of Grandia 2 on the PS2 and since it was sort of a big deal on the DC back when it launched I figured I'd kick off my year with a trip down memory lane.  It's an extremely good game but maybe I should have played a bunch of shorter stuff first to get some completions under my belt instead of jumping right into a meaty JRPG, but oh well, not gonna stop now.

If you are interested in my exploration of the DC and how my individual playthroughs are going then I talk about it in my weekly backlog vlogs so give those a gander if you want to see what weird and obscure shit I come across over the course of the year. 


If there's any stuff you think I should play, leave a comment or tell me in my stream or something.  Between exploring this system and some of the new stuff on the horizon I'm pretty excited for this year in games


No comments:

Post a Comment