Friday 18 January 2013

Japan, you freak me out sometimes

Well I was happily on my way home from work today, thinking about what kind of game related thing I was going to write for my blog, and while I was nearing my apartment, an area that gets really dark at night, I heard something off in the distance.

What I heard, was chanting, what I think was Buddhist chanting.  Now this is fairly normal right?  I mean, the two major religions in Japan are Shinto and Buddhism, but upon hearing the chanting in the distance, I started to freak out a little bit.  Now at this point, you're probably thinking I'm just a big baby, but it wasn't so much the darkness, or the chanting itself that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, it was because it reminded me of something.

Listen to the first 3 seconds of that.  That is the opening sequence from Silent Hill 3, and the chanting, I swear to god, sounded almost exactly like that.  While I was heading up the stairs to my place, my bag rubbed against the stone wall and the sound nearly made me jump out of my damn skin, I thought Valtiel was coming for me or some shit.

But that's the sign of a good horror game right? Silent Hill 3 came out in 2003 and having memories of it forced into my head via distant Buddhist chanting STILL freaks me out.  Most modern horror games can't even get me to be slightly concerned at the time, let alone 10 years later.

So quit making action games with monsters that go "boo", because that's all we seem to have.  I'm sure with all the tech we have, you can make something as long lasting as Silent Hill 3, so get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment