Wednesday 1 August 2018

Ajin



I've been sort of off anime for a long LONG time.  I watched a hell of a lot of shows back in my high school and early university days.  I dropped off not only because I just didn't have time but because I just couldn't seem to find anything decent that wasn't full of squeaky anime girls.  Not that I'm anti squeaky anime girl, Dungeon Travelers 2 on the Vita was pretty much ONLY that, but when it's the only thing available I lose interest.

I don't know what came over me but I suddenly decided to look for something to watch and the first genre I turned to was horror.  I started by reading the manga for Parasyte which was enjoyable and from there started looking into a show called Kakegururi which was about squeaky anime girls gambling so I was getting off track. To get myself back on track I looked up a show called Ajin and found myself getting hooked pretty fast.

The show is about a high school boy (because it always fucking is) who gets run over by a truck and is outed as a much feared Ajin.  Ah Ajin is basically a fancy anime way of saying "immortal" but in the case of this show it's not that you can't die, but when you do die you just get back up again.  This leads to some pretty cool action sequences but also some really grotesque horror stuff.  There's one point early on where the protagonist is captured and tortured for "science" and it's not what's happening to him that's disturbing as much as the idea that you have to suffer that over and over again.  There's also stuff with fighting ghosts but I feel they're there for more anime fight purpose and the real enjoyment comes with watching how each Ajin in the story deals with their outcast status.

I've not really been hooked on a show like this since early 24 or The Wire.  I'm not one for binge watching shows but each episode ends with some insane bullshit that just makes you want to see what happens next and I can't resist that "next episode" button.  If you're looking for a show that isn't just weeby cutesy crap that check out Ajin.  There's a second season I've not watched yet but I'm sure it's awesome, go check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment