Friday 8 January 2021

Line of Duty

 

This post is going to be pretty short because it's not about games but I've not enjoyed a show like this since The Wire so I just HAVE to say something about it

Line of Duty is a British police drama series that was first aired on the BBC in 2012.  The show was then brought to my attention by a friend of mine when he showed me the opening of the first episode on Netflix.  I then promptly forgot about it for a couple of years until recently when I decided to put it on in the background so there was some noise going on while I was working from home.  I promptly had to stop putting it on during my work from home hours because I was fucking GLUED to this shit whenever I threw it up on the TV.  

The show starts out with a bloke called Steve heading up an anti-terrorist operation.  The whole thing goes tits up and an innocent man is killed by an armed officer in front of his wife and by the blessing of plot armor the baby he was carrying magically didn't get hit by a bullet or die when it fell to the ground.  Steve cottons on to the fact that the whole operation was rushed and poorly thought out and wants to speak up against his superiors to get justice for the family that just lost a father, but his team instead all put together a story to cover their asses and basically Bully Steve into following along.  Not wanting to to this, Steve quits (or gets kicked out of, I can't remember right now) the anti-terrorist force and joins AC-12, the anti-corruption wing of the police dedicated to bringing down bent coppers.  From there it's hard to say anything without major stories but it's 5 seasons of drama, betrayal, action, plot-twists and subterfuge everywhere.

Rarely ever do I binge a series.  In fact rarely ever do I even bother to watch a series all the way through, I'm just not that much of a TV guy but I just could not pull myself away from Line of Duty until the very last moment, it's just that good.  It does this thing each season where there's a sort of lull in the action, bunch of standard cop-show shit going on and then right at the end of that episode it'll throw something absolutely insane right out of left field that you absolutely weren't expecting.  That gets you to immediately hit the "next episode" button and from there its so break-neck and intense that it's hard to put it down until the season finishes.  

So if you're still locking yourself down away from Corona and you need something to kill 30 hours with, I highly recommend this show.  At time of writing there are 5 seasons and you can bet your ass I'm praying for a 6th

No comments:

Post a Comment