Saturday 2 March 2024

I hate Micro USB

 

This is probably going to be a pretty short post but Micro USB has caused me such problems for such a long period of time that I have to write it down here and make my distaste for this cable connection known to the public.

I'm a big fan of the Playstation 4 controller, it's great.  Looks good, feels good in the hand and the triggers are quite nice.  I like the Playstation 4 controller so much that I decided that I wanted to use it with my PC games too which I was able to easily do by just plugging it in with its charging cable.  The thing about the charging cable is, however, that the side that goes into the controller is a Micro USB connector which for some infuriating reason seems to wear down over time and makes the controller next to unusable.  Not usuable in a nice clean way though, it'll still connect and let you play games with it but if you move even a nanometer the thing will fucking disconnect and either pause the game or get you killed.  

The absolute worst thing that I've seen happen with this controller disconnect is where the pad stops responding but it holds the last input you made.  Back when I was doing deathless or hitless runs of Cuphead there was more than one occasion where my pad would stop working but it would keep running to the right and off a ledge or into a bosses attack.  For anything more intense than a turn based RPG, if you're using a controller that works off micro USB then you may as well just not even bother.

It's not just me either, almost everyone I know has this issue with these controllers.  A long time ago I did a classic Mega Man 2 players 1 controller marathon where we used the PS4 controllers that my co-pilot had and even his cables were suffering from the same issue.  We had to wrap a bunch of rubber bands around the connector to hold it in place and even that wasn't a sure fix, we still had to contend with disconnects throughout that events.  PS4 controllers, not even PS5, PS fucking 4 controllers are still 3-6000 yen, I shouldn't have to McGuyver the thing to operate as intended when I'm paying that goddamn much.

What's even worse is that while I'm focusing on the PS4 pad because its the thing that's been pissing me off the most recently, it's not the only piece of tech that uses micro USB that I've had trouble with.  I recently bought a baby monitor where the screen component of it has a micro USB port on it for charging.  I had that baby monitor for about a month before I started having charging issues with the damn thing.  Not because the monitor was fucked in anyway, but because the fucking connector on the cable had worn down and absolutely refused to charge with out A LOT of fiddling to get it in a very specific position.  We had a separate micro USB charger thing that we ended up swapping that busted cable out with and it works for now but it's only a matter of time before this one dies too.

I know there might be sentient cum-bubble that might want to respond with something like "bUt TaU, jUsT uSe It wIrElEsSlY" but 1) I have tried that and for some reason it won't take and 2) Even if it did work, it doesn't change the fact that micro USB is a pile of shit and no company should be making anything that uses it.

I can't believe I'm at a point in my life where I have strong feelings about cable connectors but here we are.  Fuck micro USB

No comments:

Post a Comment