Tuesday 11 December 2012

Crane Games Probably Aren't Bullshit

I've spent a lot of time on this blog talking about game centres here in Japan, but I've yet to mention these things.  UFO Catchers as they are known over here are games where you have to position a claw above a prize and try to grab it.

The prizes they put in these things can be literally anything.  I've seen collectible stuff, game systems, games, food, ice cream, all sorts of stuff is up for grabs, but when I play them I never manage to bloody win anything.  I used to think that they were rigged like slot machines are, that the claw would make one good grab after so much yen has been shovelled in, but after asking around about these things I think my idea was a little off.

There seems to be some kind of technique for these things, something I don't understand and it'll be a long time before I ever get round to mastering such a technique if it does exist.  I heard from one friend of mine that there are "professional" crane game players, who win stuff and then sell it on for a profit, it sounded nuts.  At first I was a little sceptical about the idea of these things paying out consistently to skilled players, but I do in fact know a guy who doesn't play often, but wins pretty much 100% of the time when he does have a go.

So, if you don't get enough out of regular games and you feel you need to be rewarded a bit more, get practising on these bad boys, you'll be rolling in plushies before you know it!

1 comment:

  1. It is pretty easy to learn how to win consistently - I found the smallest-prize machines easier (mounds of tiny phone-charm prize types), whereas some people have a knack for the biggest (giant plushie) types. I do think some arcades have them rigged though - but remember that often, especially in smaller arcades, if you pick out which particular prize you want (say there are 5 different variants of slime plushies, and you want king slime) and point it out to the personnel, they will put it in a "better catch" place for you. If you knock it back into a place from which you can't get it, you can ask again. So.. depending on the place, and how nice they are, it can be easier to win.

    ReplyDelete