Saturday 27 November 2021

The Worst Controls on the Playstation

 

Was too sleepy at the end of the stream last night to fire up Blogger and write a post so instead I'll do it now, just after I wake up 

I've been making slow progress on Shin Megami Tensei 5, of course.  I've seemed to have hit a bit of a difficulty spike in the area that I'm in.  Previously every encounter was a walk down easy street and then I hit this next big area and suddenly encounters aren't so much difficult as much as they have the potential to go completely go tits up in a single enemy turn.  One bad critical or one miss and my life flashes before my eyees, especially in a game where the death of the main character means a game over even if all your other demons are just fine.  Nothing however, that a bit of demon management and maybe a little grinding for a level or two can't solve though.

I'm also coming up on the end of A Plague Tale which is a game that's FAR overstaying its welcome.  It's not a bad game by any stretch, a fairly generic hairy dad game where the hairy dad has been replaced with a teenage girl and her child brother but it just doesn't have enough ideas to support it's length.  I'm on chapter 15, hopefully the last one, but it feels like should have ended 5 chapters ago.  There's only so much you can do with "sneak around dudes" and "avoid rats" and you can see the game struggling at around chapter 6 to keep things interesting.  I don't hate this game but I'm sure as hell glad that Epic Game Store gave it to me for free, I might have been a bit less charitable with it if I had actually paid money.

Finally I spent my time on stream playing Megaman Legends on the PS1 which is I'm fairly certain the only series of Megaman games I've not played before unless there's some obscure Megaman Kart on something like the Wonderswan or some shit.  The game is actually pretty fun despite feeling a bit clunky at first but once you get a handle on it all it feels just fine.  Also the way the characters act and that specific brand of 90s anime voice acting makes me feel like I'm playing some kind of Saturday morning cartoon, it's the kind of game that a younger me would have REALLY loved.  One thing I cannot forgive though is the movement controls.  Holy Mary Mother of God these are maybe THE WORST movement controls I've seen in a game maybe ever.  People give classic Survival Horror tank controls shit for being "clunky and hard" but Megaman Legends makes Resident Evil feel like the smoothest thing in the world.  You move forward and back with up and down, as usual, but then you rotate Megaman with L1 and R1 and left and right are this weird strafe thing that isn't good for anything since the camera is too close and you can't see where you're going when strafing.  You can reverse these, which I did, but it still feels weird.  On top of that, the lock-on feature is the most fussy piece of garbage I've ever seen in a game.  If you are locked on to one enemy and another enemy comes even remotely near you, the lock on will start swinging back and forth between the two targets thus making killing either of them next to impossible.  Luckily shots sort of home onto enemies if you fire near them so locking on isn't actually required most of the time but it's still annoying when flying enemies decide to turn up.

With that Mega-man-mega-bitching out of the way I'm now off to try and finish A Plague Tale so that maybe I can spend my evening complaining about it on here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment