Thursday 25 November 2021

Valkyrie の Jank


 I know I said not too long ago I would be trying to use the blog for daily posts about my gaming activities but I shortly found myself in a bit of a busy situation and so things fell to the wayside for a while.  I'm still mad busy but I figured at least attempting to write something short for the day is better than nothing at all. 

Today has been a sort of uneventful day for gaming.  A day in the office meant that my time to game while managing this other thing meant that I wasn't really able to do anything until I got on stream.  When I did get on stream though I kicked things off with a bit of Megaman 1, a game I'm attempting to learn to speedrun.  The world recording is an absolutely insane 18 minutes-ish and while I'm struggling to stay under 30 minutes progress with the PB is coming nice and gradually.  There's a TON of very precise tricks in that game to skip massive portions of levels and I can pull of about 2 of them with any kind of reliability, 1 I can get sometimes and the rest I can't do yet at all.  If I want to get serious about cutting that time down learning those skips will be super important.

The main focus of today's gaming though was Legend of the Valkyrie on the NES as part of my 100 game challenge on stream.  It's a fun little game, I described it in my first session as it playing similar to Hydlide but if someone who was actually competant had made it.  Well I say competant but it's got a fair amount of bullshit involved with enemies spawning in at random and flinging fireballs that do a large chunk of your HP.  A problem that's circumvented by wandering around and grinding exp, sure, but it takes so long to get a single level that doing laps of the in starts to become a chore after a while though.

The most annoying thing about this game though is the password system.  Like a lot of games of it's time, when you want to stop and take a break, you have to generate a password.  It's not a huge password like in something like Megami Tensei but it's long enough and the entry screen annoying enough to be a bit of a pain in the ass.  You would think, with a password of that length, it would store everything in your current game but it doesn't.  When you put in the password you start with your current gold and exp intact but your inventory is completely wiped and you start on the first island.  That means that every time you play, you have to walk all the way around the mountains, kill a worm thing and get the boat, then ride the boat all the way to where you were before.  There are teleporters that I've not used yet that may solve at least some of this issue but I've been told that beating the game without the boat is impossible so at the very least you have to do that task every session.  When I played Metal Gear and put in that password that game was able to keep track of all my stuff and even exact location on the map but Valkyrie feels the need to rob all my shit as punishment for turning the game off, what a time vampire.

Anyway, at least the game is kind of fun to play and hopefully I can just sweep though the whole thing in a single session next week.  If you've got a long Sunday afternoon to kill and you wanna try a weird NES game then maybe give it a try, there isn't much text and there's a guide online so it being Japan only isn't really a problem.

Hopefully I'll have more time tomorrow for a bit of SMT V but for now I'm going to bed

No comments:

Post a Comment