Saturday 7 October 2023

The Hatred For Epic Game Store

 

I've had the Epic Game Store on my computer for a good while now.  I downloaded it a while back after hearing they just give shit away for free.  Steam is still the number 1 platform I use for buying PC games but every so often I'll fire up EGS, look at what's free, add it to my library and then maybe tinker with it occasionally when I want to play those games.  For some reason though, whenever I bring up "oh yeah I got <game> for free on EGS" I'm occasinally hit with a lot of vitriol for the platform and I just don't get it really.

I wouldn't call the Epic Game Store a GOOD platform by any stretch.  In my limited time in using it outside of just playing free games it's been pretty dismal.  It lacks a lot of the features that Steam has, shopping with it is a sort of unpleasant experience and worst of all it doesn't have any features for gifting games.  There was one time I gave away a grand prize on my stream for a game that was exclusive to EGS (Maneater, on Steam now but then it was exclusive) and getting the game to this guy was a real ballache.  I didn't even buy the game on Epic in the end, I had to get a code on Humble and then send it to the guy.

I tried to do some Googling on why people hate it so much and there were some things about exclusivity and some things about giving data to Tencent and some things about a crappy refund but complaining about games companies being shitty is like complaining that water is wet.  The entire industry side of gaming sucks shit.  Every company on every service has shitty aspects, hating one over the other makes little sense to me.

I've heard some people argue to me that instead of using Epic Game Store for free stuff I should use the premium service on PS+ OR GamePass on PC.  What the people who make this argument fail to understand is that those are subscription services that cost me money month to month or year to year depending on what plan I pick.  When I downloaded EGS it did not cost me anything and then when I then proceeded to download Control, for free, I was able to play it start to finish completely for free.  The other thing that sounds ass about GamePass inparticular is that I've heard stories of people saying that games have been removed from GamePass.   Thanks to my huge backlog and other obligations sometimes it takes me a long time to finish a game so the idea that I'd be halfway through something when Microsoft decides to just yank it from under me is not a service I'm even remotely willing to pay for.  Even when Steam has removed games from its store they have still been avaliable to me if I already bought it, at least.

At the end of the day though, EGS is giving you free shit every week.  I've played some real bangers off that platform too.  Control, Death Stranding, A Plague Tale, Texorcist and Sonic Mania, just to name a few.  Sure it may be barren of features when compared to Steam and may have a couple of other shitty aspects to it but I have about 180 games on there and I don't even have a credit card registered.  Liking it less than Steam or another service is perfectly understandable but the red hot hate that some people claim to hold for it makes no sense to me at all

No comments:

Post a Comment