Sunday 1 June 2014

Mario Kart 8 is Pretty Good

I don't own a WiiU but thanks to my friend very kindly bringing his over this weekend I managed to have a good toot on Mario Kart 8 and it's an absolute ton of fun.

If you have ever played a Mario Kart game before which I'm going to assume you have at this point, it's basically more of the same.  They have added some kind of anti gravity thing which means that a lot of the games original courses are pretty crazy and fun to play.  There are a good selection of new items too but the game seems to be a lot stingier with it's toys this time round so I've not had too much of a chance to play around with them.

The multiplayer is also a ton of fun and supports both split screen and online play.  If you have only two players then you have the option of jumping into the online mode and playing against the denizens of the internet together.  The online mode is also very fast and very simple, if you just wanted a quick race or two then it's extremely easy to just jump on and have a few races with some randoms and it has features to allow you to play with your friends but I've not been able to test the functionality of that.

The simplicity of the game is what makes it so damn good though.  You buy most modern games and it has to do DLC checks and then pesters you to buy a map or a character or some such total bullshit.  Mario Kart just lets me pop in the game and fucking play it, which is great and more games need to adopt this approach rather than trying to spend all their time on every menu screen trying to squeeze more money out of me.

Also a lot of people rag on the WiiU for not being as graphically advanced as the PS4 and the Xbox One but Mario Kart 8 is an extremely pretty game.  The courses look great and are quite varied and it runs silky smooth even during split screen multiplayer.

I'm going to have the chance to play the game a bit more over the coming week, so if I find any bullshit I'll be sure to rant about it somewhere but for now, Mario Kart 8 might just be the game that convinces me to go pick up my own WiiU

No comments:

Post a Comment