Wednesday 24 April 2013

Please Games Journalism, fucking stop

Fuck.....it's almost impossible to enjoy this hobby when I'm surrounded on all side by whiny, thin skinned little pricks who don't have anything better to do with their time than complain about things.

So here is the deal, I wake up this morning and I'm looking around the internet when my attention is brought to an article on Gamasutra.  Now before I go on, for those that don't know, Gamasutra is a gaming news website that is quite well known for being read by developers and people in the industry.  I don't go on it very often but most of the stuff I have read from there has been good or if it hasn't been good at least it's about games.

So at the time of writing this article (24th April 7:25 in Japan) I can see a lot of game stuff on there, but there is something else there that pisses me off.  The TOP story is about fucking feminism, a few stories down from that is some drivel about race in games and a few posts down from THAT is some writer not worth his salt moaning about some Japanese artist implied that some other guy was gay because he said his art was no good.

JESUS. FUCKING. CHRIST.  Shut the hell up already

The article I read in the most detail was the one about the Japanese artist, so let me sum that up for you.  Some games journalist who isn't very good at his job looks at the above picture and then says that the artist isn't very good or some such crap.  The artist, in response to this posts a picture of a load of fat naked men from the same game and says "maybe you'd like this instead"  So then this OTHER guy makes a post on gamasutra about how the Japanese guy is being homophobic and feels "betrayed" and all other such crap.

You know what this isn't? FUCKING. VIDEOGAMES!  If you can't handle reading some dudes schoolyard insult about how maybe someone likes men then maybe you should just climb back into your little care bubble and never fucking leave.  Someone implying someone else is gay isn't damaging to the gay community.  He isn't rallying the rest of the Dragons Crown development team against gay rights, he just made a fucking schoolboy comment to a guy on twitter or facebook or whatever the fuck it was because the guy irritated him a bit.  Grow a backbone and write about something worth fucking writing about.

But you know what?  I don't see this in Japan and I don't see it on Japanese websites.  I can look at a Japanese gaming website and read about fucking games.  I can talk to Japanese people on the internet and in forums about fucking video games and subjects like feminism, racism or homophobia aren't even the in same fucking realm as that shit.  It's a lot easier to enjoy games over here because people are more focused on good games and less focused on filling slow news days with fucking garbage like this.

I'm not offended by burly, over sexualised men in video games.  I'm not offended when a villan has a British accent and I certainly wasn't offended when Lara Croft killed god knows how many men in Tomb Raider because I was too busy having fun with the fucking VIDEO GAME.  You don't have a real cause to fight for so you just make up controversy so you can feel way more important than you actually are.

Bottom Line: Shut up and write about fucking games

No comments:

Post a Comment