Friday 12 April 2013

Steam Marketplace! Free Games (With some luck and patience)

I'm surprised this is something I was not made aware of sooner, because it's fucking awesome!

So, Steam have had this service for a while where you can buy and sell in-game items for real life dosh.  When I first saw this I laughed thinking it was a load of shit, and while I was half right after fucking around with it for an evening I ended up making £7.50 which is enough to buy a game off the store.

So how does it work?  Well the only games that are supported are Team Fortress 2 and DotA2, and even then you can't just sell all the shit in your steam inventory willy nilly, only certain things at the moment are marketable.  So I had a bunch of chests from DotA, and some items on TF2 and I put them up for like, 20p (or a penny for the DotA chests)

After waiting for what has now been about 24 hours, I know have enough money in my steam funds for a cheap game.  You know, if you ask me this idea is pretty fucking amazing.  Granted your selling stuff for basically nothing, like I said chests and crates go for about a penny, but if your big on DotA or TF2 and you make some sales, then do it long enough and you'll have enough for a free game.

Steam do take a percentage of the sale for themselves which I've seen some people complain about, but you are getting money for shit that you earned in game and didn't pay for, so really you have nothing to lose by selling all those crappy chests.

I don't know what I'm going to do with my spare pocket change, probably save it until I have about a tenner then buy something on the next sale, who knows?  Either way, it's a cool service and gives me that incentive to sink a couple more hours into DotA and TF2.

No comments:

Post a Comment