Saturday 2 February 2013

Borderlands 2 Racism Bullshit

Borderlands 2 is a game that has yet to be played.  I own a copy and it's been added to my eternal backlog, but as I'm writing this post, I've yet to play it.  Luckily, I'm not commenting on the quality of the game, but more the idiocy of certain people on twitter.

While browsing the internet I was made aware of this article.

http://kotaku.com/5981171/players-accuse-tiny-tina-from-borderlands-2-of-verbal-blackface-gearbox-writer-says-hell-change-her-if-racist

For those that don't want to read, some idiots on Twitter are claiming the character of Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2 is racist because she talks in black slang.  Yes, I am totally serious, the link above contains the story in more detail and the twitter conversation.

This is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever heard and I can't believe that people have gotten to the point where they are being offended by the way a character speaks.  I've heard white people speak like this all the damn time, and a dialect like that isn't limited to just one group of people, any prick can talk like that, it's not a hard speech pattern to imitate.

The character of Tiny Tina, from what I looked up on youtube, is super annoying but not racist.  You would have to be some kind of drooling turbo idiot to think that speaking a certain way makes you a racist.  It pisses me off that there are all these people that are on a crusade to try and ban everything that may be even SLIGHTLY offensive to someone.

NEWSFLASH!  Probably every game/movie/book has something that offends SOMEONE, so if you start trying to change things so that no one will be offended, the only thing you can possibly do is just stop making things.  Example, I find these people on Twitter to be offensive, so I think they should stop posting, but they wont.  These people think characters like Tiny Tina are offensive and want them to stop being written that way, but they wont, so shut up.

If anything, I'd say that the dudes making the argument that the character is racist, are racist themselves since they are making the implication that the only kind of people who talk in low class black slang, are black people.  Maybe these people should think before they chat shit.

1 comment: